What to do if you’ve been poisoned by mercury from whitening creams
The first thing to remember is: Don’t Panic
While it can be a long and slow process, it is very possible to remove mercury from your body.
If you suspect that you’ve been poisoned by mercury, there are two routes you can take. The first is to see a specialist, who will test you for mercury levels and then put you on chelation therapy if you need it. This will involve the use of chelation agents such as DMSA in a medical facility.
The other option is to try to slowly remove the mercury in your body yourself with natural ingredients. Keep in mind that mercury removal can be strenuous on the body as mercury will be released from your tissues and into your bloodstream before it can be carried out. Because of this “re-introduction of mercury” during the chelating process, it is much safer and better to do this slowly.
Three things you can do to remove mercury (mercury chelation)
1) Add fresh cilantro to your diet (also called Chinese parsley)
You can do this in several ways:
- You can take cilantro by adding it to fresh juices (easy to do if you have a masticating juicer that can take leaves)
- Eat the cilantro leaves whole and raw (might be a bit pungent for some)
- You can also add the leaves to some hot water or hot tea to steep and infuse.
- Enjoy them in cooked dishes. For example, many Asian (especially Vietnamese) dishes like pho bo contain fresh cilantro. Look for your favorite recipes or dishes. If dining out, ask if the cook can add more cilantro.
Unlike other herbs, cilantro is very effective in chelating mercury from the brain and central nervous system. This is especially helpful if you feel you have symptoms from mercury poisoning such as a lack of coordination, excessive anxiety, nervousness and memory loss (mental fogginess/forgetfulness).
Cilantro not only removes mercury but other toxic heavy metals as well.
Note: Unfortunately, a small number of people find the taste of cilantro intolerable. For example, they may complain that cilantro tastes “soapy”. If you’re one of them, know that this might be inherited (genetic) so it’s best to try other methods to chelate mercury instead of forcing yourself to have cilantro.
2) Eat fresh garlic
Garlic is an amazing and powerful herb. It is able to bind to mercury and remove it from the soft tissues as it contains many sulphur components which oxidize mercury, making it water-soluble and easy for the body to remove.
Garlic also contains selenium, which is an important mineral that protects us from mercury toxicity by binding with mercury. The selenium from garlic binds itself to mercury, making it difficult for the mercury to be absorbed by our tissues. You can see why garlic is especially valuable if you think you’ve been poisoned.
Take garlic raw or lightly cooked for the maximum effect. Garlic pills can do very little, despite marketing claims otherwise. Similarly, it’s also much less effective to take selenium pills. This is because selenium needs to be bio-available to make a difference and few selenium supplements are.
- One clove of garlic a day will help. If you have trouble eating garlic raw, cut it into small pieces so that they can be swallowed with some water. Taking garlic this way minimizes the taste, which can be powerful.
- You can also take garlic in a tea. Chop up a few cloves and add them to a cup of hot water to steep. Drink the water as it cools. Do not take when your stomach is empty.
3) Eat more raw fruits and vegetables (raw food diet)
This one may be the most difficult to do. However, if you can achieve a more raw food diet, fresh fruits and vegetables are effective in removing mercury and other toxic heavy metals from our bodies over time.
Fresh raw fruits and vegetables contain many beneficial nutrients that help mobilize and excrete mercury:
- Vitamin C
- MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)
- N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC)
- and many other vitamins and minerals
While you can also take these individually in supplement/pill form, eating high-quality, natural whole foods will ensure that these minerals are able to work together synergistically. (While synthetic vitamins have their uses, the gold standard in nutrients is always found in their natural forms. )
If you find it difficult to adopt a raw food diet (which is understandable), instead try to have at least one raw fruit or vegetable each day and go from there. Adopting a more raw food diet is a gradual process and should not be forced. Do what is easy and enjoyable first. Eat your favorite fruits and salads. Have delicious fresh fruit juices instead. Some vegetables are easier to take in their juice form, such as carrots and kale.