Melanocytes determine skin color
Your natural skin color is determined from birth. Over time however, many things can happen to alter the color of your skin. These can include:
- Regular sun exposure and tanning.
- Major trauma such as burns, scalds, road rash.
- Common injuries such as chickenpox, acne, and general cuts and scrapes.
- Hyperpigmentation resulting from hormonal changes and medication.
- Age-related hyperpigmentation such as age spots.
Unlike your natural color, these pigment changes can occur at varying depths of the skin – within the top layer epidermis or within the deeper epidermis.
This explains why some discoloration is easily removed while others remain stubborn and refuse to lighten.